Re: using cd roms with dselect

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 06:22:34PM -0000, Jim Higson wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:08:46 -0500, Johann Koenig <explosive@hvc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >>How do I get dselect to see the packages in the cdrom images?
> >
> >Try adding them to you're sources.list with apt-cdrom.
>
> Ok, I have done this for each cd with:
>
> apt-cdrom add -d <iso mount point>
>
> Everything in /etc/apt/sources.list seemed fine.
> So I tried to do the install:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install <pagage>
>
> Now apt asks for the cd to be inserted in /cdrom/ (remeber I am using
> mounted cd images, not burned discs) and there's nothing I can do but
> press return.
>
> I don't have a cd burner, so how can I get apt-get install to see the iso
> images as install sources without burning the images to discs?

The quick-and-nasty way: when apt asks for the cd to be inserted in /cdrom/,
before you press return, switch to another VC and symlink /dev/cdrom to the
iso mount point.

It can be done "properly" but I can't remember off the top of my head
exactly how, and I'm not on the system that I have set up "properly" so I
can't post its config. Sorry!

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons