Re: 2.6 and devfsd

On Sunday 11 January 2004 06:39, Nitebirdz wrote:

> Yes, devfs is considered to be deprecated in the 2.6 kernel and it has been
> replaced with sysfs and udev.

I guess ultimately what is important is the "debian" support for these.  I see
there is a sysfsutils package, but little else at the moment (ie I can't find
any package with udev in its title)

>  You should be able to find more information
> in Google.  Also, bear in mind that there were some major changes in the
> way the kernel deals with modules too,

I think the module-init-tools package should manage this, which I do have
installed.  It seems to have created a /lib/modules/modprobe.conf file which
looks to have been derived from /etc/modprobe.d directory.

I am wondering if the line

alias char-major-10-1 psaux

Should in fact be

alias char-major-10-1 psmouse

>so it wouldn't surprise me if the
> nVidia drivers are broken.  Aren't those binary drivers, by the way?

There are a load of patches at http://www.minion.de - I don't think that is my
problem

--
Alan Chandler