How should Backstreet Ruby be installed on Woody?

Hi,

I used to run Sarge, but switched to Woody.
The reason for the switch: the 7 CD's and stability. I have 2 requirements:

First, I run Backstreet Ruby: one Debian box with 2 Nvidia graphics cards, 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mice. 2 people can use the system simultaneously, only one of them has X and 6 vc's available. The other one "just" X.

This involves a kernel patch and a patch to X. There is a Debian package for the X patch, but it is for Sid, there is nothing for Woody.

So on woody I download 3 of the 7 X 4.3.0 tarballs and patch them.

Secondly I want to run the latest Mozilla (1.6b) with xft.

To get both of these things done I do the following:

1. I apt-get install x-window-system. This gets me the X Fonts (and everything else)

2. Run make World on the patched X 4.3.0, telling him there are no fonts to compile, then rename /usr/X11/lib -> /usr/X11/lib.old and make install. Now I have the right X for Backstreet Ruby.

3. Get xft from the woody backport as well as gcc/c++-3.2. This will pull in 10 things, among them x-window-system-core, xbase-client, xfree86-common. I compile Mozilla (3 hour compile on a 850MHz CPU)

4. At this point something always does not work: sometime GUI buttons, or X says he can't load the right keyboard-map. So I just run make install again on my copy of X. This "fixes" things.

But this obviously is not "right". Debian does not know anything about my X fudges, although everything seems to work.

Question: Is the "right" way to do this to create a woody debian package for X 4.3.0-Backstreet Ruby? Or what is the "right" way to get this done?

I have left out the kernel patching: the patch is for a vanilla 2.4.23 kernel. So I just download that, patch it and make-kpkg it.

I hope I have explained this right and someone has an answer.

Thanks.

Hugo.