Re: fax, voice, and data answering

Christian Schnobrich wrote:

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:32, D. Clarke wrote:

I'd like to be able to have a voicemail box, fax, and possibly (although not required) ppp dialup.

First, you need something to pick up the line and distinguish wether it
is voice, fax or data, and then call the appropriate service. IIRC
vgetty is  your friend here.

ppp dialup will be the easiest of them. Search the web for the "Linux
Network Administator Guide".
When it comes to faxing under linux, Hylafax is apparently the most
common means to do so. It's a full blown client/server setup capable of
handling as many faxmodems as you can connect to a single  machine,
sending on all lines 24/7 -- in short, much more than you are likely to
need.
However, looking for a smaller solution, I came across "mgetty and
sendfax" -- but, I had no luck at all with it. I can't quite remember
any more, but it was something very fundamental.

I don't know any voice applications -- not my field of interest.

cu,
Schnobs

mgetty/sendfax require a class 2 or 2.0 fax modem. Many are just class 1. There are many interesting examples and addons for vgetty. I have played with some of the simpler ones. If you aren't doing something standard it can get difficult.

Paul Schwartz