Re: need advice on fixing my home lan

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 08:52:53AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have a small LAN in my home. I need some advice on tuning it.
>
> I've started working on a project wherein I move large files (>3GB)
> between two Debian boxes. This is a slow process. I would like to be
> sure that it goes as fast as is reasonable. I think all my LAN cards
> are claimed by their makers to be 10/100, but for some this might be
> marketing hype. All my cables are 'CAT5'. So, some questions:
>
> How do I determine whether my lan is passing data at 10 or 100 MHz?

apt-get install mii-diag

That should install the mii-diag and mii-tools applications that you can
use to adjust and check the settings of most NICs.

Beyond that you might want a monitoring application that will give you
throughput on the interface(s).  Right now I'm using an application
called "slurm" I don't believe there's a debian package for it, but it
is very easy to compile and use.  Eventually I plan on replacing it with
mrtg and snmp.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar