Problems with Debian + DL380 G3 and highmem

I have a Compaq DL380 G3 with 5GB RAM running Debian stable.  I installed
with and am running the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel that came with debian.
However, not all of my ram is being seen.  I only get about 900MB of it
and the kernel tells me that I need a PAE enabled kernel.  So I downloaded
the kernel-source-2.4.18 package and rebuilt my kernel according to the
instructions located at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html#s-kernel-debian

I decided to not change anything and first to just test the process and
produce the same kernel with the config file.  That worked and booted
fine.  I then enabled highmem and PAE support, recompiled, and booted with
that kernel.  However, the system won't boot with the highmem enabled
kernel.  The kernel messages indicate that my array is seen and that my
root partition is mounted read only.  Then after the kernel states that
it's freeing unused memory, I get a kernel panic stating that it can't
find init.  If I append init=/sbin/init at the LILO prompt it doesn't
help.

Here's a diff between the two config files I'm using to compile the
kernel:

51c51
< CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
---
> # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
53c53,55
< # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
---
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
> CONFIG_X86_PAE=y

Has anyone seen this problem before?  I have no idea why highmem support
would make the kernel not be able to execute init.

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com