Re: How to find out the version package available on website

Stephen Liu(satimis@icare.com.hk) is reported to have said:
> Hi folks,
>
> Kindly advise how to find out the version of a package available to upgrade/
> install.  I am not quite clear on man apt-cache.  I tried follows without
> result;
>
>From the apt-cache manual
 -v
 --version
   Show the program version.

Most programs, when run with the -v argument shows the version of
'that' program. so
apt-cache -v
apt 0.5.14 for linux i386 compiled on Sep 24 2003 00:13:00
displays the version of apt-cache I am running.

You want apt-cache search firebird  -- then pick the one you want to
see the information on and do

apt-cache show mozilla-firebird

note that there are firebird packages shown that 'are not' browsers.

HTH=Hope This Helps, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary, HAND=Have A Nice Day

--
Weinberg's Second Law:
 If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,