Re: Cross Compilers

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> working on various platforms, it would ease my job really a lot if I
> would find pre-configured/compiled/packaged cross-compilers for Debian
> (sarge) built by the pros.  Or differently:
>
> Is anyone aware of a location where I can find various cross-compilers
> ready to install on a Debian box?  Of help to me were:
> - StrongArm big- and little endian (SA-110)
> - PowerPC (e405)
> - MIPS (r3k)

I'm not sure what you're asking for is that practical. My experience with
doing software development for embedded Linux systems (my day job) is that
the toolchain that one uses is dependent upon several factors that are not
particularly generic. Like: which libc are you using, which kernel
version, which gcc/g++ version you need, which target architecture, which
patches you need/don't need applied, etc., etc. There are precompiled
toolchains available for many combinations of these things and usually you
would find them where a particular target architecture project is located.
I've only been able to use a precompiled toolchain a couple of times and
mostly have had to build my own toolchain, which, I admit is not a very
pleasant thing to have to do. The point I'm trying to make is that there
are so many variables that I'm not sure the toolchain packages that
resulted would be that useful to that many people.

On a related subject, if you are faced with the need to actually build a
cross-compiling toolchain, then you should visit
<http://www.kegel.com/crosstool> (if you aren't already aware of this).
Dan Kegel has done some fantastic work in taking SOME of the pain out of
the building cross toolchains.