Re: Debian install on Virtual PC / OS X

"Dave's List Addy" <listonly@webpresencegroup.net> writes:

> I am trying to install the latest Debian with the ISO
> bf2.4-3.023-netinst. I am doing this with Virtual PC 6.1 on an Apple
> iMac 17 " Flat Panel with a G4 1.25 MHz. I can get the install to
> boot and start, my problem is on selecting the correct Network
> driver for the iMac. I tried Tulip and no go.

If I understand what Virtual PC does properly, the actual hardware
inside the Mac is somewhat irrelevant; you'd need to figure out what
network hardware Virtual PC is emulating and use a driver for that.

You'll almost certainly get noticably better performance, and not have
an intermediate layer of Microsoft, if you installed Debian (PPC) on
the Macintosh directly.  The downside is that you won't be able to use
Debian and Macintosh programs at the same time, since you can only be
booted into one OS or the other.  Maybe there's something like VMWare
that's a PPC virtualizer out there?

	-- Abra Mitchell