installing new kernel packages

I'm curious what are other peoples' practices when installing a new
kernel package for a kernel version already installed (and the one you
are likely already booted to).  The new package may be for the same
kernel version but for a different release(?) of that version as with
the newly released package(s) for kernel-image-2.4.18-1-*.  When one
attempts this, s/he is confronted with an alarming message that is not
very clear.  Because of this, I play it very safe and usually boot to a
different kernel version, 'rm -rf' the /lib/modules of the kernel I'm
replacing and then install the new package before booting back into the
kernel of the new package.  I'm questioning whether this is really
necessary.  I know that with Red Hat, new kernel packages are simply
installed, no questions asked (if they are not on the "packages to
skip" list).

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu