Re: /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hello Gavin!

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:00:22PM +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
Today this file became corrupt, which I suspect was a hard drive problem, as the previous Debian testing had problems and I was rebuilding this this morning.

I deleted this and status.old thinking it was rebuilt by apt-get or dselect. But I found out from the #Debian channel that the install was screwed.

Is this definitely correct? Can it not be re-created?

See the fine Debian Reference at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-recover-status
for ways to recover your selection data.

Keep in mind how your backups might possibly be out of date and thus
might not reflect your true package selections. YMMV, after all.

I am re-installing one more time, then giving up and putting the hard drive in the bin.

Don't give up, and there's very rarely the need to reinstall... ;)

Cheers,
Flo