Re: devices

Gavin:

I attempted to send this to you directly, but as you can see, your
personal address is not liked by my ISP:

|------------------------- Failed addresses follow: ---------------------|
 gavin.m.seddon@man.ac.uk ... transport smtp: 550 host is listed in rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net
|------------------------- Message text follows: ------------------------|

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:42:33PM +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Dean,
> The original thread was my cdrw and scsi tape are not detected by the
> system, someone advised to try mounting the tape.  I installed the mt-st
> kernel patch, added the necessary append to my lilo.conf and added the
> adaptec cdrw patch.  No joy.
> Gav.

If the SCSI tape isn't detected, then I presume that the kernel doesn't
recognize it as a device (visible as device 9 on my system when I "cat
/proc/devices"):

    Character devices:
      1 mem
      2 pty
      3 ttyp
      4 ttyS
      5 cua
      7 vcs
      9 st			<- the tape drive
     10 misc
     14 sound
    162 raw
    226 drm

    Block devices:
      3 ide0

I haven't used the "mt-st" patch since I can't remember when (a long
time ago).  The kernel supports many SCSI devices, including tape "out
of the box" providing you configure it.  Rebuild your unpatched kernel
sources and enable SCSI and SCSI tape.  My configuration (which is bound
to be slightly different from yours, but may still be useful as a
reference) for SCSI follows:

    #
    # SCSI support
    #
    CONFIG_SCSI=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
    CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m		<- the SCSI tape
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m		<- the SCSI CDROM
    CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
    CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
    CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y

    #
    # SCSI low-level drivers   (I have TEKRAM card - see below)
    #
    CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
    CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
    CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
    CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20

At boot, the following SCSI messages appear:

    sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 13, function 0
    sym53c8xx: setting PCI_COMMAND_PARITY...(fix-up)
    sym53c8xx: 53c875 detected with Tekram NVRAM
    sym53c875-0: rev 0x26 on pci bus 0 device 13 function 0 irq 9
    sym53c875-0: Tekram format NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, Parity Checking
    scsi0 : sym53c8xx-1.7.3c-20010512
      Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-ROM CDU-76S    Rev: 1.1c
      Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
      Vendor: HP        Model: HP35480A          Rev: 1109
      Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I appreciate that your configuration is probably different, but you may
find the above useful.  Be sure to start with clean kernel sources (make
mrproper the unpatched sources) and do a "make menuconfig" or whatever
you choose to ensure proper SCSI support is built in.

Regards,

Dean

--

----- End forwarded message -----