Re: devices

Gavin:

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:32:20PM +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 18:21, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Dr Gavin Seddon(gavin.m.seddon@man.ac.uk) is reported to have said:
> > > Hi,
> > > Ihave 2 devices that I cannot get working.
> >
> > "Can not get working" is very vague.  You must be getting some error
> > message which would assist someone in helping you.
> >

> > > a.  A scsi tape drive.  Here I have installed the mt-st kernel patch and
> > > made a ln -s between /dev/sto anmount: /dev/st0 is not a block devicev/tape.
> >                               ^ Typo? do you mean st0?
> > What error message do you get when you try to mount it?
>
> When I try to mount it
>
> mount: /dev/st0 is not a block device

Mounting a tape is somewhat unusual.  I recollect seeing that done on
UNIVAC mainframes, but not on UNIX or Linux.  I use the drive (with tape
loaded) by writing to or reading from it.  For example;

	(echo "Date: `date`, tape 1"; dd of=/dev/nst0 count=1)

should write a single line to the tape in the drive.  Note that I
didn't rewind the tape.  To read what was written:

	mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
	dd if=/dev/st0 count=1

should dump the contents of the first (and only) record on the tape (and
rewind the tape).

It is unclear why you are trying to mount the tape drive, as I've lost the
beginning of this thread, but I presume that you have some data on your
tape that you want to save on a CD.  Try placing the tape data into a file
on disc (set up as an ISOFS filesystem, I believe) and recording from
it.

> > > b.  A cdrw, here I have installed the scsi emulation patch and added an
> > > append line to my lilo.conf.
> >
> > Nowhere near enough info here to say.
> >
> > What does the append line look like?
> > Did you add the drive to /etc/fstab?
> > does cdrecord find it?
> > etc, etc.
> > The line is
> append="hdc=ide-scsi"
>

> No i did not add anything to fstab.  Don't know what to add.

I do not have a CD writer, but the CD reader is listed in "/etc/fstab"
as:

	/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto

The drive happens to be a SCSI device and "/dev/cdrom" is soft linked
to "/dev/sr0". "/cdrom" (the mount point) is a directory at the root of
the file system (readable and executable by all).  For my case, when a
CD is loaded and mounted, it is done so "read-only", and can be done by
a user, but is not done automatically by a general mount command.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Dean