Re: devices

Dr Gavin Seddon(gavin.m.seddon@man.ac.uk) is reported to have said:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 18:21, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Dr Gavin Seddon(gavin.m.seddon@man.ac.uk) is reported to have said:
> > > Hi,
> > > Ihave 2 devices that I cannot get working.
> >
> > "Can not get working" is very vague.  You must be getting some error
> > message which would assist someone in helping you.
> >

> > > a.  A scsi tape drive.  Here I have installed the mt-st kernel patch and
> > > made a ln -s between /dev/sto anmount: /dev/st0 is not a block devicev/tape.
> >                               ^ Typo? do you mean st0?
> > What error message do you get when you try to mount it?
>
> When I try to mount it
>
> mount: /dev/st0 is not a block device

Sorry, I haven't had a tape installed here in 6-7 years, so just can't
remember enough to be of help.  Suggest doing a google search for a
tape howto.

> > > b.  A cdrw, here I have installed the scsi emulation patch and added an
> > > append line to my lilo.conf.
> >
> > Nowhere near enough info here to say.
> >
> > What does the append line look like?
> > Did you add the drive to /etc/fstab?
> > does cdrecord find it?
> > etc, etc.
> > The line is
> append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Do a google search for the CDROM-HOWTO.pdf.
It has all you need to get the cdrw up and running.

> No i did not add anything to fstab.  Don't know what to add.
> cdrecord -scanbus finds nothing.
> Yes sto was a typo should be st0

/etc/fstab
/dev/scd0   /cdrw       iso9660 defaults,rw,user,noauto     0   0

ls -l /dev/cdrw
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root cdrom  9 2003-10-06 12:34 /dev/cdrw -> /dev/scd0

Note the group ID

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne
--
This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't.
                -- Hofstadter