Re: Debian Specific Books?

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004, Justin Ellison wrote:

> 	I'm a linux user of 3 years who manages 10-15 RedHat servers at work,
> and I've run Gentoo on my laptop since 1.2.

> 	The mailing list is great, but the noise floor is too much for me.

First of all, a good email client, aliases, and a killthread script is
your friend.  Impliment one using your email-client-of-choice and your
scripting-language-of-choice.  Procmail + Mutt + common shell tools can
do it.  debian-user is a flood of information.

> I know all the generic linux related stuff, I need to know more about the
> specifics of Debian, ie, roll-your-own deb's, kernel building, adding my
> own modules to the installation kernel, etc.

You don't need books to learn debian.  For the basics, try:

	http://www.debian.org/doc/

For package management, including building debs, try:

	man apt-get
	man apt-cache
	man dpkg
	man dpkg-source
	man dpkg-buildpackage
	ls /usr/share/doc

For roll-your-own-kernels the debian way, try:

	apt-get install kernel-package
	man make-kpkg

For patching the boot floppy for a customer kernel, try:

	http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html

If you are planning to switch those 10-15 RH servers over to Debian in
the future, may I also suggest looking at:

	apt-cache show apt-proxy

For all good debian questions, try:

	http://groups.google.com  (include debian in your search terms)

> 	Anyone have any good books that could get me up and running nice and
> quickly?

There is a _Running_Debian_ book, but I have yet to review it.

_Unix_Power_Tools_ is a must read for any linux user, I like to think.

_Running_Linux_ is a good general linux book.

Plus, of course, a good reference book for your favorite scripting
language.  :)

Btw, are you trying to move away from Redhat do to the nearing
end-of-life of their 'free' line?  Just curious.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
 icq:    34583382             | Nethack 3.4._3_ is out!  http://www.nethack.org
 jabber: dasunt@theoretic.com |  "And how can man die better / Than facing