Re: emergency: Openoffice, Fonts, what a mess

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 03:12:13AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today, I did the usual apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on my
> girfriend's machine.
> In the process, the Openoffice backport was upgraded from 1.0.xx to
> 1.1.xx. This has severe side effects.

<snip>

> Any help would be great.
>

> TIA,
> Schnobs
Hi Schnobs,
This is the kind of things that hurt Linux for the desktop. When average users, trying to
get 'WORK' done, do a 'routine' upgrade and have a wrench thrown into a seemingly simple
thing like editing a letter. But I digress. My idea is to downgrade OO. And
hopefully this will 'pull-in' the fonts that were messed up. Also, print
the files to 'pdf' first. Since its an output format, it shouldn't be
affected by 'upgrades'. I'd also check /var/cache/apt/archives for any
xfonts that are not installed. I think you can use dpkg --get-selections
to see what is missing.
HTH
-Kev