Re: High DPI values and how text and grfx loose scale.

Mike Mestnik <cheako911@yahoo.com> writes:

> On my system I have small monitors that I drive at high resolutions.
> This makes my DPI about 130.  With this DPI it's vary obvious that
> text is bigger, while EVERYTHING else remains small.  This has
> created a lot of bugs dealing with fonts being bigger than there
> containers.  I also run with dual heads, so I have 2 valid DPI
> settings.  Gnome cares not of these things, I think it must.

Sucks, don't it.  :-(  I think the current best buzzword for this is
SVG (scalable vector graphics).  But a lot of the current world seems
to be based around bitmapped graphics, which are designed assuming a
75dpi display.  Web pages, which were initially intended to be
completely platform-independent, have gathered a lot of unfortunate
dependencies on a particular pixel size; I bet that, say, MIT's
top-level Web page (http://web.mit.edu/) would look terrible on your
display, especially if you're using a sensible Linux browser.

You might be able to find a window manager that believes in higher
display resolutions.  (I think modern openbox does, though it's
stopped believing in non-XINERAMA multi-head displays.)  A Web browser
that scaled images and pixel sizes up to your advertised display
resolution from 72dpi would be clever.  But otherwise, yeah, a lot of
the world breaks this way.

(...and I've thought for a while that having a 300dpi LCD display
would be very nice, aside from software support sucking in pretty much
exactly this way.)

	-- Abra Mitchell