System lockups - SiS on board video.

I have a system that I plan to use for experimental stuff. It's a 1.2G
Athlon with an SiS motherboard with on board sound & video. Currently it's
got Debian Sid on it, as a familiar setup to get to know the box. However
there is a problem:
Quite often when the screensaver is running, the system locks up entirely
(no keyboard, and no ssh into the machine) and needs to be power cycled.

The video line from lspci gives:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS630
GUI Accelerator+3D (rev 31)

This is one of those vile things that uses system memory for the graphics
(settable to 8, 16 or 32M in the BIOS). Currently it uses 32 of the 576Mb
in the system. I'm using the sis xfree86 server without framebuffer.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before, or better still know what to
do about it?
	TIA
		James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering