Re: ISO9660 file naming (limits)

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:32:21PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
| On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:12:16PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > I want to make a cd archive of my (past) school work and remove it
| > from my hard drive.  The problem lies in name/path length limits for
| > ISO9660 filesystems.  'mkisofs -R -J' yields output such as
| >     Using FINDR000.HH;1 for ./SE1-Software_Engineering.3010-361/src/FindRoomWindow.hh (FindRoomWindow_glade.hh)
| >     Using FINDR000.CC;1 for ./SE1-Software_Engineering.3010-361/src/FindRoomWindow_glade.cc (FindRoomWindow.cc)
| > When I loopback mount the ISO to inspect it, the file apears normal
| > with the complete path and name.
| >
| > My question is, what does the output from mkisofs mean, and will the
| > CD have all of the files correctly named?
|
| Why don't you avoid problem by using tar on reasonably sized chunks of
| the file tree, and name the tar files concisely?

I'd rather not have a cd full of tar files since I'm not cramped for
space.  It is much more convenient to be able to put the cd in and
read over some code or some-such than it is to need extra disk space
in which to untar the data, look at it, then delete it again.

-D

--
mailhost:/etc/mail# less sendmail.cf
less: syntax of file "sendmail.cf" may induce nausea, show anyway? [n]