Back up and running

For those who have such a problem:

Instead of following IBM's instructions, do it the way one of the debian forum
posters suggested:

1..When the CD boot:? prompt appears type "knoppix single"
This will configure and dump you in a working root shell.

2. Mount the disk yourself and that way you own it.

3. Now chroot. In this mode, it will work.

4. Edit the lilo.conf and run lilo. In this mode, it will work.

5. Reboot.

Now I need to figure out how to correctly use the initrd.img I created :-)