Re: devfs and Linux LVM

Thanks for the response.  I will try lvm10 again (I am
avoiding lvm2 for the same reason you are).  I think
the problem may that I don't quite understand what I
need to do to set up LVM.  When lvm10 is installed
this message is displayed:

----------
if devfs is compiled into the kernel then it MUST be
mounted on /dev
Otherwise LVM will not be able to locate your Physical
Volumes. You must
also use the full devfs device names in LVM commands
rather than the
shortened devfsd names.
----------

I have never used devfs and have mostly ignored its
existence so I have a few questions.  The first is
that the message says that that devfs "MUST be mounted
on /dev".  What does this mean and how do I do it?

Second question, the message says that I must also use
the full devfs device names in LVM commands.  Does
this mean that I must run command like this:
vgcreate newvg /dev/ide/host0/bus0...
and not like this:
vgcreate newvg /dev/hda2

I assume it means the former.  If so do I also have to
use the full device path in non lvm commands.  For
example can I mount using:
mount /dev/newvg/nvglv01 /newfs
or do I need to mount using:
mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0... /newfs