Re: adding new hard disk

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 at 12:51 GMT, Paul Morgan penned:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:09:31 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 at 06:59 GMT, ben_foley@web.de penned:

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:07:30PM -0800, Anita Rohani wrote:

Hi

A few hard disk partitions on our current Debian system are close
to becoming full. I would like to install an addtional hard disk
and extend the partitions on the current disk to the new disk. Is
it possible to do so and are there any instructions avaliable on
how to add and configure additional hard disks on Debian?

check the archives. i got a lot of good help recently on migrating a
partition. the course i chose was a mixture of tips. your ideal
solution might be other that mine. search the archives for partition
migration.

essentially, create a filesystem on the new disk, set up a mount
point, mount it, cp -r the data, edit fstab to reflect the new
arrangement.  don't delete the original until you're sure the new
partition is extant.

You most likely want cp -a rather than cp -r.

cp -ax

Okay, having read the man pages, I'm not sure how this does more than
the -d option that -a includes.  -a already stops you from following
symlinks ... maybe I'm just being dense, but what additional situations
does the -x cover?

Say you have /usr, /tmp, /var, and /home mounted on seperate partitions and you want to move just the root partition to a new partition. you can do 'cp -ax / /mnt/newroot'. If you were to do just 'cp -a / /mnt/newroot', the contents of /usr, /tmp, /var, and /home would be copied to the new partition as well.