Intermittent reboots between kernel versions

Hi all.
I'm using Woody and kernel versions 2.4.18-686, 2.4.21 & 2.6.0. The system
boots up and functions well when powering up from either of the 2.4 kernels
but ocassionally fails to boot when changing from 2.6.0 to 2.4.21. In this
case, the system fails to mount the root file system, culminating in a kernel
panic.

<start of error message>
EXT2-fs: ide0(3,1): couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features
(4).
cramfs: wrong magic
<end of error message>

I however experience no problem when changing from 2.6.0 to 2.4.18-686 and in
fact take advantage of restarting with 2.4.18-686 as a makeshift solution.
In an attempt to find a lasting solution, I compiled kernel 2.6.0 again and
this time enabled Ext2/3 extended attributes.  Its been just a day since
putting the new 2.6.0 version into service and have so far not experienced
the difficulty described above but on the other hand I'm not so sure if
indeed I've come across the solution for the root cause of the problem. Any
ideas?

Note that in getting kernel 2.6.0 to work, I had to install a newer version of
e2fsprogs and replace modutils with module-init-tools. Could e2fsprogs be
causing the problem?

Thanks & regards

--

Alphonse Ogulla