Re: [DEB-USER] Re: 2.6.0 + where is /etc/modules?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:29:34PM +0100, Pascal Seiler wrote:

> As a not for long time Linux (debian) user I'm totally confused about
> uses module-init-tools. I dought that this will autodetect needed
> modules at boot time and then load them. False?
>
> Is it correct that modules I wish to load at boot time need still be
> listed in /etc/modules? Are they other ways to load modules?

I don't know how Debian will be setting it up in the future, but for
kernel 2.6, the module handling is different. Instead of
/etc/modules.conf, 2.6 uses a file called /etc/modprobe.conf, with a
slightly different syntax. With the module-init-tools package (which I
presume is part of the 2.6 bundle), there is a script that converts your
/etc/modules.conf to /etc/modprobe.conf. Likewise, with the
documentation for that package, it briefly explains the differences in
the two formats.

I have not done all this myself. I saw a post about it, and decided to
check it out in advance of installing a 2.6 kernel. I downloaded the
module-init-tools package and examined its docs and the script I
mentioned. If you google for module-init-tools, you'll find where to
download it.

Paul