locales & perl

Hi.  I've figured out how to supply/generate my chosen locale
(dpkg-reconfigure locales), and now I have:

   export LC_ALL="en_CA.ISO-8859-1"
   export LANG="en_CA.ISO-8859-1"
   export LANGUAGE="en_CA.ISO-8859-1"

in my ~/.bash_profile, but perl doesn't appear to get it:

   perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
       LANGUAGE = "en_CA.ISO-8859-1",
       LC_ALL = "en_CA.ISO-8859-1",
       LANG = "en_CA.ISO-8859-1"

So, How do I:

  - fix this so perl knows what to do?

  - tell perl to shut up about locales if this can't be fixed?

[Woody 3.0r2, perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 1)]

Thanks.

- -