Problem running foomatic-filters postinst script

I am having a problem configuring the foomatic-filters package when
installing it.

It seems that the ucf script is hanging on the read of the response to
the question of what to do with the config file.

To start to figure out what is going on, I modified the ucf script in
/usr/bin/ with an echo just above and just below the line that reads the
response to the queries presented.  The line that does the reading is:
read -e ANSWER;

I also modified the foomatic-filters.postinst script to invoke the ucf
script with the verbose and debug options.

Original line was:
ucf --three-way $tempfile $FILTERCONF

changed to:
ucf -v -d 2 --three-way $tempfile $FILTERCONF

When executing  the /var/lib/dpkg/info/foomatic-filters.postinst script,
I get the following output:

ucf: The Debug value is 2
ucf: The new file is /tmp/fileB1FBhE
ucf: The Destination file is /etc/foomatic/filter.conf
ucf: The Source directory is /tmp
ucf: The State directory is /var/lib/ucf
The hash file exists
egrep [[:space:]]/etc/foomatic/filter.conf$ /var/lib/ucf/hashfile
The new start file is      `/tmp/fileB1FBhE\'
The destination is         `/etc/foomatic/filter.nf\'
The history is kept under  \'/tmp\'
The file may be cached at
\'/var/lib/ucf/cache/:etc:foomatic:filter.conf\'
The destination file exists, and has md5sum:
30785e8a78643d070ac2e15517549dfe  /etc/foomatic/filter.conf
The old md5sum does not exist.
The new file exists, and has md5sum:
b6e983525b10e4d913bb32caac029902  /tmp/fileB1FBhE
Historical md5sums are not available
No match found, we shall ask.
Configuration file `/etc/foomatic/filter.conf'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
     What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
      Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
      N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
        D     : show the differences between the versions
        Z     : start a new shell to examine the situation
  The default action is to keep your current version.
***  filter.conf  (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
 about to read answer...d   <---- echo 'about to read answer...' added by me
                            <---- press enter
                            <---- press enter
                            <---- press Ctl-C
root@snail:/var/lib/dpkg/info$

Output of 'apt-show-versions foomatic-filters' :
foomatic-filters/testing uptodate 3.0.0-20031207-1

Lou