Can't configure xserver-xfree86: no stored checksum available

I'm trying to configure xserver-xfree86 (4.2.1-12.1 on my Toshiba
Satellite.

I keep getting the error message:

	Note: not updating /etc/X11/X; no stored checksum available.
	Note: not updating /etc/X11/XF86Config-4; no stored checksum
	available.

I've purged and reinstalled xserver-xfree86 but still get the same
message. Any suggestions for what is wrong here? (I found someone with a
similar problem on Google but apparently no solution.)

A.

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic