RE: ... switched to EXT3

> Re: Synching disk on logout -- switched to EXT3  (Miquel van Smoorenburg,
>  Fri Jan 2 16:20:09 2004)
>
> In article <200312312255.12964.d_baron@012.net.il>,
>
> David Baron  <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> >Thanks to all the good advice here, I made the switch to ext3. It was
> > quite painless, was neither doable nor necessitating a CD-boot.
> >
> >Just did the tune2fs -j and edited the fstab and rebooted.
> >
> >Note that on boot now, I get a warning something like:
> >ext2 loader warning, ext3 superblock ..... mounted ext3, filesystem ext2.
> >
> >Besides this, runs perfectly and survived one switch off with a flawless
> > fsck.
>
> You must set the filesystems as ext3 in /etc/fstab. Not only that,
> you need to make sure ext3 is compiled into the kernel (not a module)
> or loaded in initrd, and tell the kernel that the root filesystem is
> of type ext3 instead of ext2. Otherwise the kernel will mount it
> as ext2.

Have learned so far:
1. This warning is symptomatic of Knoppix HD installations which is what I
have.
2. Conflicting flags abound: Mtab echoes my fstab mount as ext3 but a /proc/
mounts listing says ext2.
3 Etc.

/proc/filesystems does list ext3 as resident. (The knoppix installer's
partitioning options included ext3 as well but I had already set up the
original ext2 using ParitionMagic.)

So ... How do I tell it to the kernel?