Re: ls nitpick

On Saturday, Jan 3, 2004, at 20:38 America/Denver, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

Russ Schneider wrote:
When you do an ls on Debian, you see something like the following:
file1  file2  file3  dir1
dir2   file4
etc.
When you do the same on Mandrake, you get
file1  file2  file3  dir1/
dir2/  file4
You see how there's a / at the end of each directory name, making it
really easy to tell at a glance what's a directory and what's not?
Any way to config Debian's ls to do that? I realize it's just a nitpick, but I am curious.

In your .bashrc file you can enable console colors. It's not the same, but it's a way to differentiate different types of files (the default is dir's re a bluish color, executables are green, plain files (html, txt, mp3's etc.) are white/gray and archives are red).

Mandrake just aliased "ls" to "ls -F --color=auto"

Type "alias" in your shell on the Mandrake box to see what else they set.

Look in /etc/profile and follow it to /etc/profile.d to see the other stuff they do and how. Easy to add to any other linux box. Standard shell customization stuff.

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com