Re: 56K Modems

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:12:42 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:46:28PM -0600, Jacob S. wrote:
> > Wal-Mart's a good suggestion, I'll have to check there next. I've
> > not been as successful finding them online as I had hoped... perhaps
> > I need to stop looking for USB externals (that are still
> > non-winmodems) and get a plain serial external.
>
> Consider USB modems as internal, possibly win-modems.  Just use a
> serial port for your modem, it's easier.

But that's just it - not all of them are. I had an Actiontec USB
Call-Waiting modem that was the easiest modem I've ever used (that is,
until the lightning strike got it) - plug it in and start talking to
/dev/ttyACM0. However, I don't see any Actiontec USBs for sale on the
internet any more.

USB makes it easier for it to be a winmodem than if it were a regular
serial port, but that doesn't mean they're all winmodems, nor does it
mean they are hard to use when they're a hardware modem.

I figure it never hurts to ask and if anyone knows where to find a good
piece of Linux-compatible hardware, this list seems to be the place. :-)

Thanks anyway,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Some software money can't buy. For everything else there's Micros~1.