Re: install debian and orinoco_pci?

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:34:57PM +0000, Lucian Wischik wrote:

> My desktop has no wired ethernet, only a Netgear MA311 wireless. I'd
> like to install debian, but this is my first linux-installation and
> it's a bit beyond me... I'd be grateful for help. I downloaded woody
> ISOs and installed it fine, but don't have any idea how to get the
> MA311 working.
>
> I found this page about the MA311 on debian:
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~mtriggs/wireless.html
> It describes how to use the orinoco_pci drivers, by enabling it in the
> kernel-module-list. Unfortunately, my downloaded debian installation
> only has orinoco_PCX drivers, which I understand are completely
> different ways of accessing hardware.

I have this card, it works well.

> The page says "after building the kernel and modules...". Does this
> mean I'm expected to recompile the kernel myself? ... gulp! I was
> hoping to avoid this because of information overload.

It's really no big deal.  If you search the debian.user archives you
will find millions of posts on The Debian Way to recompile the kernel.

There's also a chapter in the Debian reference manual.  It's always a
good idea to read the docs before posting.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html

> If it is necessary to recompile modules or kernel myself, could anyone
> point to some step-by-step guides for a complete beginner? I've
> googled enough to find some guides, but they all assume more knowledge
> than I have at the moment. (nb. I'm an experienced C/C++ developer
> under windows, but just don't know how and where debian things fit
> together.)

If you can handle the arcane-ness and complexity of Windows development,
you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see how easy it is to recompile
the Linux kernel.

I think the drivers you need are in 2.4.22, but you might as well grab
2.4.23 from backports.org.

Please don't CC me.  Also _please_ read the following before posting:
Documentation - http://www.debian.org/doc/
FAQ - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/
Install manual (i386) - http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install