Re: Problem: kernel 2.4.23 - rootfs mounted read-only

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:26:36 +0100, Jan Minar wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:16:35PM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
>> Dec 30 07:35:52 [kernel] EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=972554, block=1966176
>> Dec 30 07:35:52 [kernel] Remounting filesystem read-only
>

> Don't trust the disk much from now on--if you have valuable data,
> relocate them.

I have had similar problems when a disk has been dying, which is what
this looks like.  An IDE bus reset is bad news, and you are no doubt
hearing the dreaded disk-death-watch "click-click...click-click" from the
drive.

IIRC this is what I did (I did no bad block checking or recovery attempts;
I wanted to keep the disk accesses to a *minimum* in order to postpone a
complete failure as long as possible):

Copy everything off the disk *now* (cp -ax).  cp will tell you which
files were bad and that it couldn't copy, so you'll have a list of files
which you need to restore.  In my case, it was just three files in
/usr/share/doc.

Run the disk manufacturer's disk checking software from the floppy/CD to
confirm the state of the disk.  Maxtor, for instance, requires you to do
this before returning the disk under warranty.  In any case, the software
will tell you if the disk is currently in dubious shape, but it won't make
predictions about the future state :)

Return disk under warranty or go to pricewatch.com and get another one :)

Note: If you are having problems mounting it as ext3 because the journal
is damaged, mount it as ext2.  I would suggest *not* doing an fsck on it
before trying to copy everything off.  Once you've got the contents
safe, then you can mess around with the drive without making anything
worse.  If you get the disk in better shape, then you can take another
copy and throw away the first one.

Sorry to hear of your problem, disk failures really suck.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.