Not using apt-move to share local packages

This old topic again...

I'm not really interested in creating a local hierarchy and maintaining
another set of sources on my machines, but I would like a system where
when a I do a dist-upgrade that before fetching the remote package it
first checks another source for the .deb.  In other words for a given
foo.deb file before fetching from, say, http://http.us.debian.org (or
any source), it first tries http://mylocalmachine/some/path/foo.deb
where the prefix "http://mylocalmachine/some/path/"; is used for every
package.

BTW -- IIRC, someone posted a way to trim /var/cache/apt/archives to the
most current one (or two) versions and purge the rest.  Anyone remember
that?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org