Re: NB package screw up

On 04-01-01 18:52 +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 10:29:46AM -0700, Tony TJ Previte wrote:
> >  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> Apparently, there's no --force option to dpkg/apt.  So my advise is to
> edit the pre-removal & post-installation scripts by hand.

That's strange! I'd swear I've been asked to run either dpkg or apt with
a --force option by apt on failed upgrades, but now I don't see it in
any of the man pages

I do notice the option

dpkg --force-bad-path --purge courier-imap

which may be what you want, Tony

from the '--force-THINGS' options:

              bad-path:  PATH  is  missing important programs, so
              problems are likely.

there's also --force-remove-reinstreq:

              remove-reinstreq: Remove a package,  even  if  it's
              broken  and marked to require reinstallation.  This
              may, for example, cause parts  of  the  package  to
              remain  on the system, which will then be forgotten
              by dpkg.

or just the obvious; did you try just doing an install again before
removing? Maybe in that case you'd be prompted with the option which I
can't quite remember & thought was --force

HTH,
Kenneth