lost dhcp on boot up

I just made and installed my first kernel [2.4.18]! and booted too!
One problem is that the network initialization that used to occur [2.4.18-bf24] doesn't. The ether net card is recognized but my machine no longer does an inquiry to the router to get an address.

Where do I find the stimulus?

Nother issue: I thought I was compiling the ALSA driver into the kernel, but dmesg says

No ALSA driver installed
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none): modprobe: Can't lodcate module snd failed

On the other hand sound is now working for the first time. Any idea what happened?

Thanks

Paul Schwartz