Re: OT: SCSI better than IDE?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:54:48 -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:52:04PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani (bijan@psq.com) wrote:
>
> Spoken like someone who's failed to grasp the concept of multiple
> simultaneous IOs.

There's also been some talk about the disadvantages of two IDE disks on
one channel.  I'm running six disks on three channels on my home desktop,
but I don't have much of a problem with this.  Example: One slave is my XP
installation and Linux backup space; another slave is XP and Linux backup
space.  Neither of those are heavily used unless I'm running backups.  I
have planned my partitoning and physical disk mapping to minimize
simultaneous operations on one channel.

My experience has been that, for a desktop, one can buy cheap IDE disks,
work around the channel sharing issue and get satisfactory throughput.  As
with most things, it just takes a bit of thought and planning.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.