Re: Where to get the new installer?

On Saturday 06 December 2003 01:53, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> >[··]
> >
> >My experience with Knoppix was excellent.  I used it on two systems
> >(laptop and desktop) and both are now mostly unstable - only bit of
> >knoppix obviously remaining being the X splashscreen.  It certainly
> >solved some hardware issues for me - and a lot of time.
>
> ok, great. All there is left is the splash? Nothing nasty with
> different /etc or kernel compiles?

I'm sure there are other things there too, but nothing that has been
nasty for me.  YMMV.  (I'm only a beginner with Debian).  Someone here
on d-u commented today that the Knoppix install puts far too much stuff
on the h.d., but I was just pleased to have my network card recognised
and configured, which otherwise was going to need a kernel compile. It
gave me a complete working system: now I just purge a couple of things
each time I update.  In a year or two it'll be pruned more to what I
need...

> Ok, I just read on debian-announce
> that the system will be back on really soon. If that is not going to
> happen tomorrow I'll give the knoppix hd installer a shot and try to
> work on the X issue.

Good luck, either way.

--
richard