Re: 2.6 kernel: module cannot be unloaded

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 23:15 GMT, Thanasis Kinias penned:
> scripsit Monique Y. Herman:
>> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 21:46 GMT, Thanasis Kinias penned:
>
>> > OK, I recompiled and enabled that...  (Aside:  Lots of possible
>> > gotchas switching to 2.6...)
>>
>> Please elaborate!
>
> Well, I didn't mean to be melodramatic ;)

I didn't mean to imply that you were =P

> The biggest one for me is that OpenAFS is apparently completely
> unusable with a 2.6 kernel, so my machines with AFS home directories
> have to stay with 2.4 for now...
>
> The others have to do with ALSA, the new module format, and the
> default config.  I never used ALSA before, so I had to do a bit of
> learning there to get sound working.  The new module format means that
> modconf is unusable, and I haven't got my head quite around how the
> /etc/modprobe.d differs from /etc/modutils, for example.  It's not a
> big problem, it just requires taking the time to read a bit.  Finally,
> the default config of Sid's 2.6.0-test9 has a lot of things disabled
> that I didn't expect, so I had do do a few recompiles before I got a
> usable kernel.  Unloading modules, as came up here, was one; sound
> support was another.  There were a couple others as I recall, but I
> didn't keep notes and deleted the useless kernels that resulted from
> my flailing about...

Hrm.  Okay, well, I don't know what AFS is (though now I'm thinking I
should find out), and I don't use sound at the moment, so I probably
just have to worry about the "couple others" =P

Actually, I don't think I'll be using 2.6 till it's considered pretty
solid, but I like to pay attention to what's going on, anyway.

--
monique