Re: [DSA-403-1] Kernel update?

And thus we see that David Z Maze said, :
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar <harsh@ee.byu.edu> writes:
So, does this mean that I can compile my kernel without initrd, and it
will still not break on debian? I understand that this will involve
editing /etc/lilo.conf and getting rid of the initrd line. Any other
gotchas that I should know about?

Yes, that's right.  The important thing is that you need to make sure
the drivers for your root disk and filesystem (probably "IDE disk" and
"ext2", but these could both be other things) are built into the
kernel, not built as modules.  Just make sure you have a LILO entry
around to boot your old kernel if you get stuck.

Ok, that's really good to hear. I've managed to build a non-initrd kernel for my desktop system. It works just as my previous custom initrd kernel would (except that I used Debian kernel sources last time and it was 2.4.22).

However, I face another problem. I have some systems that need to have initrd (they use LVM). Where can I go about procuring the initrd-cramfs patch that is included in regular Debian kernels?

I haven't been able to locate it by googling or by looking around in the inside of the .debs of kernel-source-2.4.22 (or 2.4.21).

TIA again,
--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop