Re: allowing root to ftp to localhost

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:07:34AM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Micha Feigin (michf@post.tau.ac.il) [031127 18:55]:
> > How do I allow root to ftp to localhost but not allow it to ftp in
> > remotly?
>
> Which FTP daemon are you using?
>
> You might find (depending on your daemon) that the easiest way of
> accomplishing this is to run two separate instances of the daemon
> running with two separate configs.  One can listen only on 127.0.0.1 and
> will allow root logins.  The other can listen on an external address and
> disallow them.
>
> Certain ftp daemons are configurable enough to effect this setup in a
> single instance, but I can't really recommend one.  (FTP is dead to me.)

I am using the ftp daemon that comes with debian. I actually rarely
using it and most of the time its not active. Sometime I need to give
access to crippled M$ machines so I let the connection through for a
limited time from a specific ip and  I am usually behind a second
firewall at the time also (I prefer to use sftp whenever possible and
even that I limit to specific ips).
It has a settings file that block some users from connecting and root is
disabled by default. It doesn't seem to have the ability to allow
connections of some users depending on host.
I could probably do this through hosts.allow/deny but I don't know that
inerface vert well and how secure it is.
I am just checking a feature given in one of the emacs tutorials about
opening local files as a different user. I don't really like starting
emacs as root (and I also have a problem that for some reason starting
emacs as root looks for the regular user's settings and doesn't find
them. Didn't have the time or patience to try and solve that one yet).
The option given is using ftp. Is there another option (preferably
through emacsclient)?

Thanx