dhclient

I'm running a testing laptop and I'm trying to use dhclient (as I have
in previous incarnations of this testing laptop). When I invoke
dhclient, I receive a message saying:

socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration.

So I looked at the .config file in the 2.4.20-kernel-source
directory and, sure enough, CONFIG_FILTER owas not defined. However, in
the xconfig menu, it appeared that CONFIG_FILTER had an =N default. I
am compiling a kernel with CONFIG_FILTER=y.

So I have tow questions for now.

1. Why doesn't xconfig have a default setting for CONFIG_FILTER that
matches the menu?

2. What has changed in dhclient to make this necessary?

Art Edwards