FIXED - Re: dpkg database corrupted, with a twist (correctly formatted)

Things seem to be behaving well now.  Here's what I did:

1) I found the correct /var/lib/dpkg/status in /lost+found.  I simply
hadn't thought to check until an hour ago.  Replaced.

2) I removed the files /var/cache/debconf/*.  I got the suggestion from
this from this post:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200111/
msg00393.html

Did those things, now it seems okay.