Re: Geological tracking application

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:41:18AM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Is anyone aware of Linux-based application capable of proving visual
> geographical tracking?
>
> To be more specific:
> We are a fishing company.  Every daily we receive reports from our
> vessels about their location, water temp and depth, fish caught,
> weather, fuel, etc., etc.
> This data is entered into a database.  It would great to have an
> application that could take that data and put it on a map.  This way we
> could track trends, perform historical analyses, etc.
>
> I realize there is probably nothing specifically that meets our needs,
> but close enough that with a little reprogramming would, in fact, work.
>
> Curtis Vaughan

The gpsdrive program by Fritz Ganter is just wonderful.  It displays your
GPS position on a bitmap map that you have downloaded from a web site.
I navigated throughout England this summer, even while driving on the
wrong side of the road.  It produces an ASCII log of position vs time
that can be transferred or played back.  It is available at
	http://gpsdrive.kraftvoll.at/index.shtml

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad~@~datix~.~2y~.~net    (828) 696-8646;  fax (828) 694-1037