Re: unchecked 31 times

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:

> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 at 16:55 GMT, Alan Shutko penned:
>> Nick Welch <mack@incise.org> writes:
>>
>>> I suppose mke2fs(8) is where that comes from specifically.  Easy
>>> to disable the periodic checks, though:
>>>
>>> tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 /dev/hda6
>>
>> That's a very bad idea.
>
> Wait, wait; I'm confused.  I thought one of the perks of running a
> journalling file system was that you can speed up the boot process
> by disabling boot-time fsck?

The relevant perk is that, if the system shuts down abnormally, the
boot-time fsck gets to replay the journal, which is fast, rather than
actually having to go through and do the full check.  If you have bad
hardware, no filesystem is going to be completely safe against random
lossage; running periodic full fscks just in case is good practice.
(But turning the check frequency down is almost certainly a practical
thing to do.)

	-- Abra Mitchell