Re: unchecked 31 times

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:

> Wait, wait; I'm confused.  I thought one of the perks of running a
> journalling file system was that you can speed up the boot process by
> disabling boot-time fsck?

It's a good thing to disable boot time fscks most of the time,
because it speeds things up.  (Journalling FSes can also prevent loss
of data, which is why I use it.)

But you don't want to disable _all_ checks, because a journaling fs
won't protect you from your hard drive slowing breaking, or kernel
bugs subtly messing up the filesystem, or some other problems.  So
it's in your best interest to wait through a long boot fsck once in a
while, just in case it finds problems before they get out of hand.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Roman Catholic: The world's oldest and largest franchise.