Re: Motherboard ASUS a7v600: is anybody using this?

Could I ask about the complete specs and costs of what you put together? I have been eye'ing the Asus A7V600 also. These are the parts I was looking at.. Off www.newegg.com

$130	SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 256MB 8X AGP
		But sarge has xfree 4.2 and 4.3 is needed for readeon
$210	AMD ATHLON XP 3000 "Barton" 400MHz FSB OEM
		What is needed for an OEM
		Suggestions on a Fan?  What is "grease"?
		It would be a waste to get the kt600 and not get
			a cpu that can do fsb400
????	How large of a power supply?
????	2 x 200GB WD harddrives
$220  	2 x KINGSTON KVR400X64C25/512 512MB 400MHz
		The board max's at 1 gig :(

Is the ethernet only Gigabit?  My network is all 10/100.

The plan was to boot and install the minimum from woody then upgrade to sarge and get kernel 2.4.22 (newest as of 11/9/2003)

Any thoughts, input, advise, suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Albert Dengg wrote:
Hi

I'm using this mobo with linux just fine.
the network chipset works with the syskonnect driver...depending on the
kernel version you may have to update it with the patch from
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin.htm
to support the card though...

with the sata drivers you seem to have 2 options for debian:
one hack for the default ide driver
and a patch for libata to support it through scsi emulation (this seems
to be better ...it is included in 2.6.0-test9 so it seems to be better
for the future)
patch for 2.4: http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/8/29/105

both seem to work from report from others..and they load fine, but I
don't have SATA drives to test with...but be aware: no raid...only linux
software raid...

USB(also USB2) works fine

agpgart works fine (I only can test agp 4x since I only own a GF4 and
with linux 2.4 agp 8x is not supported anyway from what I gather)....

I have not tested sound since I use a SB Audigy...

One last thing:
the ide controller is supported after 2.4.21 I think...before it is only
pio mode...

I hope I have not forgot anything usefull...

yours,
Albert Dengg

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:37:29 +1000