Re: user reboot/shutdown (was Re: GUI login screen and non-root shutdown...)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:22:21PM +0100, S. Hakim Hamdani wrote:
>
> > That would be appreciated, also from my side. I found it a bit strange
> > yesterday, when I reinstalled debian on a laptop, that I couldn?t login as
> > root graphically, and also that as a normal user I can?t shutdown or reboot
> > graphically or in text. Only via su.
>
> This reminds me of a situation I faced over the summer. I was
> demonstrating something to a work-colleague and I was using X. So, I
> instructed my window manager to exit, which returned me to wdm's login
> screen. I then entered my username and password and changed the
> drop-down box to 'reboot' (I think).
>
> My colleague remarked on how I had to log out and then 'login' (or at
> least re-authenticate) to reboot the computer. He is from a different
> school of OS thought ;-)
>
> This has been nagging at me since. I thought the solution might be a
> package to manage permissions for users performing these operations,
> which could be driven from the menu-system. Does anyone have any
> thoughts about this?

/etc/gdm/gdm.conf (although I do not know whether you run gdm) offers
a setting like this:

# The system menu requires the root password for all options
SecureSystemMenu=true

I changed it to
SecureSystemMenu=false
and after this, (and after the login screen again wanted the root
passwd for a while in spite of this change, as it seems) I was able to
reboot the machine without providing any passwd.

The login screen still wants the root password if I want to make
changes to the login settings etc. So it seems, setting the option
above to 'false' only lets me reboot (shutdown?, suspend?) the system.
Which is exatly what I want.

HTH

Best Regards,
Wolfgang