Re: POP3 mail fetcher that supports unreliable connections?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 at 09:04 GMT, Vincent Lefevre penned:
> On 2003-11-03 21:43:26 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> Whatever you think about what a mail fetcher should be doing,
>> shouldn't you read at least the first paragraph of the man page
>> before using a tool?
>
> This isn't sufficient: it gives no warning that mail may be lost by
> doing this. I was rather naive and thought that if this failed, then
> fetchmail wouldn't delete the mail.

That's because fetchmail didn't lose the mail; the delivery system did.

> Reading the man page won't solve the problems inherent to a dangerous
> method. Even if you have a working system, the configuration of your
> local delivery system may change in the future. It is still possible
> to make a mistake when implementing an antispam rule and reject to
> much mail (I know sysadmins who did that wrong).

You're absolutely right -- a misconfigured MTA is dangerous and can lose
your mail.  What does this have to do with fetchmail?

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.