Re: install local deb file

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:00:39AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > I think your Packages file is screwy. Can you please post:
> >
> >   * the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list;
> >
> >   * the first block of text from /storage/debs/Packages or
> >     /storage/debs/Packages.gz or whatever?
>
> Here is my sources.list. I've cleaned out comment lines:
>
> deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ woody main contrib non-free
> deb http://debian.teleglobe.net/non-US/ woody/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org woody/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> deb file:/storage/ debs/
>
> The last line refers to my separate "storage" partition on which there
> is: /storage/debs. Here I put I put .deb files and the Packages.gz I
> build from them.
>
> I assume you want me to unpack Packages.gz to inspect its
> innards. Here is the first block:
[...]
> Filename: /storage/debs/libc6_2.3.2-9_i386.deb

OK, I would advise two things. Firstly, /etc/apt/sources.list should
contain this instead of the last line:

  deb file:/storage/debs ./

Secondly, generate the Packages.gz file like this:

  cd /storage/debs
  dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages
  gzip Packages

This way, the path in the last component of the sources.list line and
the Filename: lines in Packages.gz will agree, and all should be well
after you update.

Cheers,