Re: install local deb file

> > How does one use aptitude to install a local deb file?
>
> There may be a way to convince aptitude to do this, though i don't know
> of one.  It seems to me you may just be using the wrong tool for the
> job.
>
> Is there some compelling reason not to use dpkg for your situation?
>
> dpkg --install <file.deb>
>   or
> dpkg -i <file.deb>

Well, I got the impression that aptitude would handle dependencies
properly and keep current with the package situation.

In any case, the dpkg -i <file> does not work. I'll give the
specifics:

 # dpkg -i /storage/debs/libdvdcss2.deb
 dpkg: error processing /storage/debs/libdvdcss2.deb (--install):
  cannot access archive: No such file or directory
  /storage/debs/libdvdcss2.deb

I tried also without the .deb extension. I also copied the
libdvdcss2.deb file into /var/cache/apt/archives, but when I ran
# aptitude install libdvdcss2, the file not seen. No better luck with
# dpkg -i.

Haines